Home

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Term 2 @ Art Center Composition and Painting

So my first term at Art Center was intense, as it was pretty hard to get used to the workload. However it was still a breeze compared to what I have this term (I'm in 3rd term currently). The workload definitely increased my second term, with my class of focus being Richard Houson's Composition and Painting class. We did around 40 paintings within the 14 weeks not including the 50-60 hour long color chart  we made from mixing oils together (I learned so much from that assignment).

So here are a few of the pieces that I did for Richard's Comp and Painting Class. These are all done in oil. Again, I predominately use my Instagram as my main source for uploading work, so follow me if you're interested :D (PaulC_Art). Not all of the paintings I did are included on this list.

First Few Sets of Paintings that I did in the class (both master copies and from models)

 

 

 


Rembrandt Master (Process from Black and White to Color) + More Paintings:

 

 

 


Midterm Sargent Master Copy:

This was a pretty straight forward painting, which didn't take too long around a little less than 15 hours. It's still nowhere near the quality of the original though.

 

 

More In-Class and Master copies:














Final (Portrait of a friend):

This piece took anywhere from 25 hours to 35 hours (I did not keep track). The painting size was 24x30 (I think, forgot :P) and I stretched the canvas myself. I had a lot of trouble originally while painting because the reference I used was not clear enough, and the lighting was stylized in a pre-comp on Photoshop. As a result, I was not able to paint accurately and ran into a lot of trouble with trying to fix the light in my head (which is very chaotic and I'm not nearly good enough to invent lighting). But as soon as I took new photo reference, I think things turned out better. For the record though, the lighting in the room + my terrible Samsung Galaxy S3 camera (which kept taking blurry photos btw) does not do these photos justice. The originals if I could show them to you personally, have more color in terms of saturation and overall clarity in them. But here they are.

Laying in the value and colors.

Beginning to realize how terrible and hard to fix this painting would be. 

About after 15 hours in painting, I realize that this was not going to work,
and so that is when I shot new reference images and started making changes.
The black outline was the new lay-in of the painting.

Getting there with the face, and working on lighting it better. 

The Final Image. Again this photograph is a bit blown out and changed by the
indoor lighting I took this photograph in, Plus the disgusting glare. The painting
 was a fun and nice learning experience overall.

Edit 10/9: Better Photo & Lighting

Going to Split this into a second post. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment